The chief executives of 10 of the world’s accountancy institutes have joined together to support a new call to action in response to the nature crisis, ahead of the UN Convention of Biological Diversity (CBD) COP 15.
AS part of the Global Accounting Alliance (GAA), the CEOs are signing the call to action, ‘Nature is Everyone’s Business’, to signal the important role the profession plays in the crisis.
The member bodies of the GAA collectively represent over 1.4 million accountants and finance professionals in over 180 countries. They are:
- The Association of International Certified Professional Accountants representing AICPA & CIMA
- Chartered Accountants Ireland (CAI)
- Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada (CPA Canada)
- Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (HKICPA)
- Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CA ANZ)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS)
- Institut der Wirtschaftsprüfer in Deutschland e.V. (IDW)
- The Japanese Institute of Certified Public Accountants (JICPA)
- South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (SAICA).
The call to action involves advocating for and supporting the protection and restoration of nature through finance activities and investment decisions made by the business community.
The CEOs are also supporting the alignment of consistent global regulation and globally accepted disclosure frameworks that integrate nature, people and climate into corporate reporting.
In a joint statement, the GAA CEOs said: “We recognise that our planet is being impacted by a three-fold crisis of a climate emergency, dramatic nature loss and rising social inequality. Addressing these challenges will require integrated thinking as companies reallocate resources, reorient production and reimagine their business models. We all depend on nature, but it is the poorest in the world who are disproportionately affected by its loss and impacted by climate change. Protecting nature must be a key consideration as we collectively move forward.”
How well do you really know your competitors?
Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.
Your download email will arrive shortly
Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample
We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below formBy GlobalData
GAA CEO Jim Knafo said: “There is growing demand for sustainability and conservation. We are at a pivotal moment and the global accounting profession must be part of the solution going forward because nature is everyone’s business.”