The UK’s Financial Reporting Council (FRC) has launched a major review of how companies and auditors assess and report on the impact of climate change and how it affects businesses to ensure reporting requirements are being met.
The review will consider how the quality of information can be improved to support informed decision-making by investors and other stakeholders. The FRC will monitor how companies and their advisers fulfil their responsibilities, and encourage better practice, by:
- reviewing a sample of company reports and accounts across industries to assess the quality of their compliance with reporting requirements in relation to climate change;
- assessing a sample of audits to review how auditors are ensuring the impact of climate risk has been appropriately reflected in company reports and accounts, including the key areas of judgement and related disclosures;
- assessing the resources available within audit firms to support audit teams in evaluating the impact of climate change on audited entities;
- evaluating the quality of disclosures under the new UK Corporate Governance Code regarding risk, emerging risk and long-term factors affecting their viability; and,
- evaluating whether the Financial Reporting Lab’s recommendation for companies to report in line with the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures framework has been adopted, highlighting developing good practice.
FRC CEO Jon Thompson said: “Not only do Boards of UK companies have a responsibility to report their impact on the environment and the risks of climate change to their business, but investors expect them to operate sustainably.
“Auditors have a responsibility to properly challenge management to assess and report the impact of climate change on their business.”
“The FRC has high standards for company disclosure, including regarding climate change. Company reports and accounts are essential to understanding how the corporate world is responding to the challenge of climate change.”
How well do you really know your competitors?
Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.
Your download email will arrive shortly
Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample
We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below formBy GlobalData