AICPA & CIMA, which together form the Association of International Certified Professional Accountants (the Association), have launched a new certificate that provides foundational knowledge on topics related to environmental, social and governance (ESG) reporting, advisory, and assurance.
The Fundamentals of ESG Certificate is available globally and is appropriate for accounting and finance professionals looking to obtain a baseline knowledge of ESG topics. The 9-hour course offers a grounding in the fundamental concepts of and latest developments within the ESG field. Upon completion, certificate holders can display a digital badge in their online profiles.
The Fundamentals of ESG Certificate programme will provide course takers with the ability to:
- Identify the key aspects in each area of Environment, Social and Governance
- Recognise the expectations of investors and the impact on business
- Assess the responsibility of businesses for key ESG issues
- Recognise the business case for implementing sustainable practices
- Identify the role of the accounting and auditing profession in sustainability
- Recognise the current sustainability reporting frameworks and reporting requirements
CEO of management accounting at the Association Andrew Harding said: “The global business community is on the verge of momentous change in how companies address sustainability issues and interest in ESG is reaching a tipping point.
“This will fuel demand for accounting and finance professionals equipped with the necessary skills to advise business leaders on the ESG opportunities and risks this presents to their organisations. The new ESG certificate programme will help develop the skills of accountants and management accountants to serve the public interest and instil trust and integrity within the ESG field.”